Buffy the Vampire Slayer is one of the most beloved series of all time, and before last week I was one of the few (and maybe terrible?) people who had never seen it. As someone who prides themselves on being a TV lover, and being very well-versed in the TV world, the fact that I’ve never seen Buffy is something I’ve kept quiet about for many years.
Like many of The WB’s (RIP to that wonderful network!) fan favorite dramas, I was too young to watch them when they originally aired, and had to settle for catching up years later when I was old enough. The main factor as to why I did not watch was simply that I was two years old when Buffy premiered. Now at 22, I am finally ready for this show to completely ruin my life, as most shows that I get attached to eventually do.
Below you will find my initial thoughts (there’s a lot of them!) upon watching Season 1 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer for the first time, 19 years after it originally aired.
Welcome to The Hellmouth (Season 1, Episode 1)
1. That was the most dramatic/quick narration of an opening I’ve ever seen.
2. The first way to tell a show is from the 90s is when they open on a high school…. And here’s Sunnydale.
3. I’m slightly terrified, but I feel like I shouldn’t be.
4. Wait. Are these two breaking into their high school? In the middle of the night? Have they never watched a teen horror movie? Did they have teen horror movies in the 90s?
5. OMG she’s a vampire??? Wait it’s, like, kind of funny! Did people laugh at this when it first aired? I just did. Only a little bit though.
6. Why don’t shows do good title sequences anymore? This one is SOLID!
7. These dissolves over Buffy while she’s sleeping feel like an over dramatic music video for The Cranberries. I don’t know if I love it or hate it.
8. 90s grunge music blaring while her mom drops her off at her new high school? Check!
9. ALYSON HANNIGAN IS IN THIS SHOW?????
10. Buffy’s been at this school for five minutes and already dropped a stake in the hallway… OK.
11. But does no one have a normal name at this school? Buffy, Cordelia, Willow, and Xander!
12. Oh, I don’t like this Cordelia girl; she’s mean to Lily from How I Met Your Mother! Team Willow!
13. “I know what you’re looking for.” *Slams “Vampyr” book on desk.*
14. That escalated quickly.
15. Do you think if Buffy were around today she would be a Supergirl fan? I feel like she would be.
16. “I’m going to a club.” “Will there be boys there?” “No, Mom. It’s a nun club.” OK with the sass, Buffy!
17. I didn’t know David Boreanaz was ever this young. Man, the 90s were GOOD to him!
18. “What is your childhood trauma?” Cordelia you’re terrible.
19. Why would Willow follow a guy she just met to a cemetery? Girl, these are things we DON’T do!
20. Guys, I think I’m going to love Sarah Michelle Gellar. Like, I already love her in Cruel Intentions and on Instagram, but this could completely change the game. On to the next ep!
The Harvest (Season 1, Episode 2)
21. Oh good, the vampires have friends. These vampires seriously look like Voldemort.
22.“They can fly?” “They can drive.” Ha!
23. I’m sorry, but I’m going to need a PowerPoint presentation explaining why Xander thought a green button up shirt with mushrooms on it was acceptable to wear in public.
24. I’m calling it now, Angel and Buffy date! (I don’t like surprises! Someone tell me if they do.)
25. But I want her and Xander to date! I can only imagine the intense shipping that probably went on when this show aired.
26. CORDELIA STOP BEING MEAN TO ADORABLE INNOCENT FLOWER, WILLOW!!!
27. Jesse is a vampire now? Come on!
28. Now they are all hanging out with the librarian? Why are they all so cool about this whole vampire thing?
29. Buffy keeping garlic in her chest under her tiger stuffed animal and snorkel might be my favorite thing about her.
30. Cordelia is going to be the Paris Geller of this show, I can feel it.
31. I know they are vampires, and it’s the 90s but did they really think that flared collars and blazers were appropriate attire to wear to a club?
32. OK, so they are just going to bite this guy in front of everyone at the club, got it.
33. Yes, Buffy! Head butt that vampire.
Get more of our thoughts by selecting ‘Next’ below:
Victoria loves all things TV! Whether it's binging Grey's Anatomy (for the 4th time) or talking Orphan Black plot lines with her Professors, she's fully in love with the medium. Victoria loves television so much that she is studying it at Monmouth University. If you love hearing long rants about why Luke and Lorelai are meant for each other you should follow Victoria on twitter @VictoriaNelli.