And then there were five as Tuesday night saw one of our esteemed coaches going from two contenders in the competition to none!
My heart broke with a mournful, “Nooooooo, not Pharrell!” But my brain was more than prepared for something this devastating harkening back to Monday night’s performances. The simple fact remains that talent is not enough to win the whole she-bang: you NEED songs that hold a place in the hearts of many, many, many Americans. And Pharrell failed his talented two (especially DaNica) with his choices this week (but he also got a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, so I’m pretty sure he’s calling this week a win). Let’s recap how it all played out and completely ignore the performances from past Voice contestants (though I enjoy Shelton’s past protégé RaeLynn and her tune “God Made Girls”)…
Craig Wayne Boyd (Team Blake)
Matt McAndrew (Team Adam)
Taylor John Williams (Team Gwen)
Damien (Team Adam)
Last Chance Performances
DaNica Shirey (Team Pharrell)
- Etta James’ “I’d Rather Go Blind” – She was SO GOOD. Which is such a crap summary, but aside from talking about how she’s got the perfect combo of jazz-blues growl and belt, I’ve got nothing.
Luke Wade (Team Pharrell) – Ben E. King’s “Stand By Me” – Short, snappy, and sweet. He proved he’s got the chops to survive and thrive in a post-Voice world. (I think!)
Ryan Sill (Team Gwen) – Bryan Adams’ “Heaven” – In spite of the warm, soft, gooey spot I have in my heart for this tune, Sill’s time is up. Not even the fan girls on Twitter can justify to themselves that this breathy performance was worthy of moving on.
Chris Jamison (Team Adam)
- Ray Charles’ “Georgia On My Mind” – I literally just noticed during this song how frequently Chris closes his eyes while singing. And from now on, it will likely annoy me enough to yell “OPEN them!” at my TV when I see him. However, his singing was top notch, so much so that I wish there had been time for more song.
Twiter Instant Saved!
Chris Jamison. Here’s where I should continue last week’s diatribe about Voice viewers only voting through pretty faces. And I would, except I like this pretty face better than Ryan Sill. And Jamison really does merit a spot in the Top 5. His last chance song proved he can do the classics as well as the hits.
To Recap the Recap:
- Taylor John Williams revealed his style to be “Amish Hipster” (So. Damn. Accurate.) in the behind-the-scenes package. (I felt this merited a mention.)
- Coach Pharrell is OUT (but back next season to try his luck again).
- Adam has cornered 3/5ths of the Top 5.
- So we’re sure no gals are winning this year. Huh.
The Voice airs Mondays and Tuesdays at 8 p.m. ET on NBC and CTV Two.