Jian Ghomeshi accused of sexual, physical violence

jian

Who said that Canadian television didn’t know how to do drama? This past weekend, the nation’s public broadcaster, CBC had plenty. It all started on Friday when news broke that Q host Jian Ghomeshi had taken a personal leave of absence from his award-winning radio show for an undetermined length of time. Many in the industry assumed the leave had something to do with the recent passing of the host’s father, which he publicly spoke about on Twitter.

But on Sunday, things got very, very interesting when CBC announced that it had parted ways with Ghomeshi for good.

“The CBC is saddened to announce its relationship with Jian Ghomeshi has come to an end. This decision was not made without serious deliberation and careful consideration. Jian has made an immense contribution to the CBC and we wish him well,” the broadcaster said in a statement.

When asked for more information, CBC communications director Chuch Thompson added to Postmedia that  new information had become available that, “in CBC’s judgement, precludes us from continuing our relationship with Jian Ghomeshi.”

It didn’t take long for many to question if CBC dumping Ghomeshi had anything to do with an article in XoJanein which a writer expounded on “accidentally” going on a date with a Canadian media personality named “Keith,” whom she believed was gay.

Turns out, it’s so much more.

Ghomeshi finally broke his silence on Sunday night, taking to his Facebook page to post an explanation worthy of Christian Grey (now we know why that guy had confidentiality agreements) and revealing that he’s now looking to sue the public broadcaster for $50 million.

The CBC has not yet responded to Ghomeshi’s version of events (below). If his allegations against the broadcaster prove to be true, it wouldn’t be the first time the CBC has taken issue with the sexual conduct of one of its personalities. Definitely Not The Opera host, and former Much VJ Sook-Yin Lee admitted to nearly being fired for her lead role in Short Bus, a sexually explicit indie film, back in 2006.

His statement, in full:

Update:  Late Sunday evening/early Monday morning The Toronto Star published an in-depth investigative report that claims at least three women have come forward saying Ghomeshi had been rough with them, without their consent. The allegations claim the radio host hit or punched these women, and choked them until they were nearly unconscious. According to the story, all of these women are educated and did not work for the CBC. Another woman who did work at the public broadcaster has also reportedly come forward, alleging that Ghomeshi once cupped her butt at the office and in another case said he wanted to “hate f—” her during a meeting. According to the story, the woman claims that when she reported the incident to management they asked her what steps she could take to create a less toxic work environment for herself. She left the public broadcaster shortly after. The women involved have not been identified and no charges have been laid.

The story continues to develop.

Thoughts? Sound off below.

 

One Comment