Hannibal’s Bryan Fuller Talked Cancellation Possibility at ATX

Brooke Palmer/NBC
Brooke Palmer/NBC

NBC has had its fill of Hannibal. The networked announced Monday that it has cancelled the critically acclaimed, visually stunning Bryan Fuller drama and that its third season, which wraps up in late August, will be its last.

When The TV Junkies attended a panel featuring Fuller talking all things Hannibal at the ATX Television Festival earlier this month he was asked about the show’s future should NBC give it the axe. Hannibal has always had a unique situation given its international backing and Fuller was asked whether that could help save the show for more seasons to come. “It’s difficult,” he said, “because it really helps international [funding] to have American network representation for a show. It helps that selling point.”

So what about the possibility that another network, maybe an Amazon or Hulu, could swoop in and save the show? “If we did get another network involved, chances are the budget would be drastically cut because ‘That’s a hand me down. We should get a discount’” said Fuller. Those budget cuts may be something that Fuller is not willing to deal with given that “every penny goes on screen and it’s such a challenging show to produce, and I’m a horrible task master. I’m always sending the dish back,” he told the ATX crowd.

For now, Fuller seems grateful to NBC for Hannibal’s time on the air. He said in a statement that “NBC has allowed us to craft a television series that no other broadcast network would have dared, and kept us on the air for three seasons despite Cancellation Bear Chow ratings and images that would have shredded the eyeballs of lesser Standards & Practices enforcers.” He went on to say that  “Hannibal is finishing his last course at NBC’s table this summer, but a hungry cannibal can always dine again. And personally, I look forward to my next meal with NBC.”

Hannibal airs Thursdays at 10 p.m. ET on NBC.