Global has confirmed the start of production and casting details on its new original scripted series Robyn Hood. Filming will begin on June 20 in the Toronto and Hamilton area on the series that is produced by Boat Rocker, created by music video director and filmmaker Julien Christian Lutz aka Director X (Superfly, Mister Tachyon), and written by Chris Roberts (Orphan Black, Frontier).
Set to premiere on Global in the 2023 broadcast year, the eight-episode, one-hour contemporary re-imagining of the Robin Hood legend follows fearless heroine Robyn Loxley and anti-authoritarian masked hip-hop band, The Hood, as they call out injustices and fight for freedom and equality in the city of New Nottingham.
Casting details for the heroic tale include the following cast:
· Jessye Romeo (Pennyworth) as Robyn Loxley, young rapper and leader of The Hood
· Nykeem Provo (The Right One) as Little John, Robyn’s daring right hand man and member of The Hood
· Idrissa Sanogo (Titans) as Alan A. Dale, The Hood’s charming music producer
· Daniela Kharlamova (The Boys) as Much, a mechanical genius and The Hood’s vocalist
· Jonathan Langdon (Run the Burbs) as Tuck, The Hood’s eccentric hacker
· Sydney Kuhne (Kim’s Convenience) as Marian Fitzwalter, a determined lawyer
· Ian Matthews (The Hardy Boys) as John Prince, a wealthy and villainous real estate tycoon in New Nottingham
· Kira Guloien (Murdoch Mysteries) as The Sheriff, a strong willed and corrupt sheriff who runs a tight surveillance in New Nottingham
· Manuel Rodriguez (Black Summer) as Guy Gisbourne, a ruthless criminal kingpin and rapper
· Lisa Michelle Cornelius (Chucky) as activist Tressie Loxley, Robyn’s mother
“With cameras ready to roll on Global’s newest original scripted series Robyn Hood, we look forward to collaborating with our talented production partners Boat Rocker, Creative Rain, Eleventh Hour Films, and Luti Media, to bring this contemporary story to life,” said Lisa Godfrey, Vice President Original Content, Corus Entertainment. “Fueled by Julien Christian Lutz aka Director X’s passion for this raw and vibrant original concept, combined with the dynamic lineup of young actors cast to play these gripping characters, viewers can expect to be blown away by this modern new series.”
Robyn Hood follows Robyn Loxley, a young woman whose masked hip-hop band, The Hood, is known for their inventive videos and anti-authoritarian message. She lives in Sherwood Towers, a community of rental high-rises in a working-class corner of New Nottingham, where the cost of living has skyrocketed, leaving an ever-widening gap between the rich and everyone else.
When Robyn finds herself fighting for her home and her family against local property developer John Prince and The Sheriff of New Nottingham, Robyn and her band The Hood decide to fight back, righting the wrongs of the corrupt elite to give back to the people.
Robyn Hood is produced by Boat Rocker in association with Corus Entertainment. The series is executive produced by Julien Christian Lutz aka Director X (Superfly, Mister Tachyon) for Creative Rain, Chris Roberts (Orphan Black, Frontier), Kerry Appleyard (Orphan Black, X-Company) for Boat Rocker, Jill Green (Alex Rider, Magpie Murders) for Eleventh Hour Films, and Luti Fagbenle (Maxxx) for Luti Media, with Boat Rocker handling global distribution. For Corus, Kathleen Meek is Production Executive; Rachel Nelson is Vice President, Original Content, Scripted, Factual and Kids; Lisa Godfrey is Senior Vice President of Original Content and Corus Studios.
Editor in Chief Bridget Liszewski comes from a long line of TV Junkies who fostered her love of television from a very young age. She's channeled that passion into covering both US and Canadian television shows, and is thankful everyday for the invention of the DVR. A graduate of the University of Notre Dame, she loves college football and is a fan of sports in general. Bridget is always up for talking TV and you can follow her on twitter at @BridgetOnTV.